This article determines some tips and techniques about installing a gun safe. Installing a gun safe is one of the best ways to protect your firearms from theft or misuse.
This article will detail guide you about different places to install your gun safely, budgeting for it, how to secure it properly, and more. let’s start it now;
What is a gun safe?
A gun safe is a very important part of the home if someone owns or has access to firearms at all times. Firearms can be expensive and easily stolen so having them safely locked away is ideal.
People purchase gun safes for different reasons: some may have inherited guns from parents/grandparents, while others might own handguns for protection purposes due to their jobs and lifestyles (ex: law enforcement, private security).
Everyone’s reason for purchasing a gun safe varies, but they all want the same thing – keeping their belongings safe.
What’s the average price of a gun safe?
Gun safes can be expensive, especially if they are large or even custom-made. You will most likely pay $400-800 just an entry-level model, but this all depends on how many firearms it holds.
The more guns you want to store, the larger your safe should be (to accommodate them).
What is the cost to install a gun safe?
The price of installation can vary depending on where you choose to put your gun safe. The ideal places (like the basement) might require extra work like opening up walls or digging trenches for wires.
You will also need licenses and insured in doing this job, so safety measures are involved with all installations. How long it takes to install your gun safe also depends on the size and model you choose.
What are the ideal places to install a gun safe?
Gun safes can be installed anywhere, but some areas will provide better protection than others. The best place for installation is in your basement or even on an upper level if you have stairs in your home that leading up to another floor.
If these options aren’t available, then try putting it next to your bed, so you don’t have too far of a walk when retrieving your firearm at night time during emergencies (ex: potential break-ins).
How to install a gun safe?
How to install a gun safe is a question that many people need to be answered when they have such a device. Whether you bought your gun safe from a store or built it yourself, your aim is to get more use and security out of it as possible.
If this is for your residence, you will want to look at various tips on how to do so. Some places may offer installation services, and some may require that you do it on your own.
How you proceed with the installation process will depend on several factors:
If you do not like the idea of putting a gun safe on the floor, then other areas can be considered. One such example would be installing it under a bed; this is also a good choice if you have children and want to place it out of their reach.
You may even store non-weapon-related items like jewelry and cash inside for added security. It is highly recommended that if any guns or items containing firearms are placed here, they must be unloaded and kept separate from ammunition; you should put the bullets in a separate container, not next to the gun, for added safety.
If you are considering keeping it at your place of business, then you will have different options. First and foremost, check with building codes in your area before installing one in an office or commercial space.
Make sure that you abide by all rules and regulations when doing this. It must be kept out of easy reach of anyone unauthorized to use it.
Installing a gun safe on your own may require some research, but depending on what type you have purchased or made yourself.
The following are some steps to install a gun safe easily.
- 1. Find a location for your gun safe
- 2. Get measurements of the area where you plan to put your gun safe
- 3. Choose a gun safe that will fit in the space you have available
- 4. Measure and cut drywall or other materials to make room for your new gun safe.
- 5. Install mounting hardware on the wall, floor, or ceiling as needed
- 6. Drill holes for anchors and screw hooks into studs behind drywall, if necessary
- 7. mount gun safe onto the wall with screws provided by the manufacturer
Installing a small gun safe on your own can be a rewarding experience, but if you do not feel comfortable doing so, ask an expert or professional to assist with the process instead. This will provide you the satisfaction that the installation was done properly rather than just taking your word for it.
When installing a gun safe, choose a location with easy access to power sources for lighting and other precautions.
You may need to put some spare keys in an accessible place so they can be grabbed quickly in case of emergencies.
Another option is placing concrete cinder blocks underneath your gun safe and to the side, making the gun safe, stable, and less likely to tip over.
The following are some tips for the installation of a gun safe that enhances the life of your equipment:
When looking around for a place to put your gun safe, make sure that it is not in an area where water can seep down and touch it; this could lead to damage and rusting inside, which would be very costly to repair or replace.
- Always consider children who may live in or visit your home as they can be curious about firearms and hurt themselves if proper precautions are not taken.
- Always purchase a biometric gun safe that opens with fingerprints, which is an added layer of security.
- This has been just a basic guide for how to install a gun safe. There are many different choices and options available for this task, so make sure you do your research before beginning the installation process.
- Always consider where it will be more secure from access by anyone who does not have the authorization to use it. This is highly important if it will be used to store firearms or other items that need to stay away from children.
Safety tips for installing gun safe
The following are some safety tips for installing a gun safe:
- 1. Learn about the best safes to buy.
- 2. Consider how many guns you have and where they are stored.
- 3. Take into account your budget.
- 4. Find out if there is a law in your state that requires gun owners to store their weapons securely.
- 5. Determine whether or not you will need a combination lock, key, or biometric scanner.
- 6. Decide what type of safe would be best for you – fireproof safes, steel safes, electronic locks.
- 7. Always be sure to use a professional installer
- 8. Make sure that it is anchored into the ground or bolted down securely.
- 9. Consider how you will access your safe – do you have easy access to it, or are there obstacles in your way when you need to get inside of it quickly
- 10. Keep the combination private – don’t share with others who might not know how to handle firearms properly.
- 11. Create multiple keys so that at least two people can open the safe without calling for help first.
This blog post will completely guide you with different tips and techniques about installing a gun safe and the ideal places for installing it. Additionally, we have provided some safety tips to install a gun safe for your consideration. If you still have any questions in mind, please leave a comment below.