How To Remove A Gun Safe Door?
There are many reasons why you may need to know how to remove a gun-safe door. Maybe it’s old and needs replacing, or maybe you’re moving and can’t take the safe with you.
Whatever your reason for learning how to remove a gun safe door, this blog post will help!
What Are Gun Safes?
A gun safe is a container or cabinet for storing handguns, rifles, or shotguns. Most of them are small enough to be moved by one person, but you can also buy heavy ones that require at least two people to lift.
Its main use is to protect firearms from unauthorized users such as children. They are commonly made out of steel, although other materials can also be used. A robust lock secures the contents against break-ins, and the best models have special features that make it resistant to attacks using cutting torches or drills.
How Are Gun Safes Made?
Gun safes are manufactured just like ordinary safes. The main difference is that the ones used for firearms are much smaller. Depending on the model, these safes can be opened either by a digital or analog clock.
Types of Gun Safes
Gun safes come in various models and sizes. They are usually classified according to their opening methods, i.e., dial type or electronic keypad type, size, design, steel thickness, locking system, etc.
There are also other factors involved when it comes to classifying them, such as whether they are made out of heavy-duty steel or not and if their contents can only be accessed by an authorized person(s) or not. Some gun safes have features suitable for home, while others are meant only for commercial use.
What Do Gun Safes Protect Against?
Gun safes protect against robbery or burglary, fire, and children who will not know how to handle a gun if they get hold of one. The best ones have high-quality locks that can resist lock picking methods used by burglars.
They also protect kids who don’t understand the dangers of handling a firearm. You should always teach your children about gun safety rules and secure all firearms in a safe place where they cannot reach them easily.
What methods are used to remove gun safe doors?
The methods used to remove the storage door may include bumping open digital locks, Mechanical methods with hand tools, Liquid methods that involve using chemicals to melt steel, and iron methods such as melting and cutting methods if they apply.
Most people prefer using mechanical methods like Banging. This method involves unbolting the hinges of your cabinet then banging it until it falls off. This method only works with low-quality gun safes, but it can be very effective if done properly.
This method involves drilling holes on each side of your storage door and prying the hinges off using a crowbar or roll bar. Experienced locksmiths best use drilling methods because you don’t want to damage your lock when trying to open it.
These methods all work for both analog and digital locks, except methods involving melting methods such as using chemicals that can melt steel doors. If done right, these methods will not damage the appearance of your cabinet, so it could still be resold at its original price or higher!
This technique can also cut the time of drilling by half if done properly. Its disadvantage is that it uses methods such as bumping or rapping to open a locked safe.
Bumping means hitting the handle of your safe with a rubber mallet which will make its dial turn and open up your safe in case you know its combination. Rapping refers to hitting the door of a safe with a hammer until it opens. This method is used on safes with digital locks where a code must be entered to run their program and unlock.
Bumping is usually used with methods applied by lock pickers who practice raking, jiggling, and floating, designed to manipulate tumbler pins inside an average gun safe door.
The procedure of removing the gun safe door
The following is a step-by-step procedure to remove a gun-safe door.
Unlock the gun safe; if its lock is digital, enter the access code or an analog lock, then turn the dial. Once you unfasten the latch or open the door of your safe, you will see one of these elements: bolts on hinges, bars on hinges, bolts on side panels.
Remove bolts from the hinge by unscrewing them using a wrench or screwdriver. You can also remove screws with a screwdriver, but some locks are protected with security pins, making this method impossible without drilling.
Push aside any braces holding up the door of your cabinet and slide it to one side so that it falls on top of your firearm collection. Note that if your door is very heavy, you will need to use a sling rated for the weight of your safe.
Perform steps 1 to 3 in reverse order to replace the contents of your gun safe and replace the door. Make sure that it locks properly before closing it. If not, make any necessary adjustments or repairs.
Precautions for removing the gun safe door
The following are some precautions for removing gun safe door:
- As always, it is recommended that you get your safe professionally installed or at least follow the instruction manual carefully that comes with it. This will prevent any accidents involving improper installation methods.
- Ensure you have all the essential tools before installing or removing a gun safe because there are usually bolts involved, and leaving out one of them can damage your safe.
- You will also need to move heavy safes without injuring yourself. Always use a sling rated for the weight of the door instead of trying to carry it. Pulling on its handle should be enough if you don’t want to end up hurting yourself in the process.
- Always replace hinges properly after removing your gun safe door so that they attach tightly against their corresponding slots. This will prevent your door from falling off and secure it against prying methods.
- Always install a safe with bolts on top and underneath to increase its overall security level and discourage burglars from attempting to open it or remove it altogether without damaging its contents in the process.
- If you have the option of drilling mounting holes for your gun safe’s hinges, make sure they are long enough to accommodate all screws, which means that two of them should be at least 1/4 “ (6 millimeters) apart. This will guarantee greater stability and overall strength against side impact methods such as smashing or dropping heavy objects onto it or hitting it with a sledgehammer or other blunt force objects.
Tips for removing the gun safe door
The following are some tips to remove the gun safe door:
1. Clean the door with a degreaser and then cover it in water.
2. Use a blow dryer to heat the door, which will cause it to expand.
3. Repeat this process until the door is loose enough to remove from its hinges.
4. When removing your gun safe door, be sure not to damage any of the other parts on your gun safe.
5. Once you’ve removed your old gun safe door, install a new one by following these instructions.
6. Be sure that all of your screws are tight before installing your new gun-safe door.
7. Wear protective gear – long sleeves, gloves, and eye protection.
8. Use a crowbar to remove the door from the hinges
9. Remove any screws that are holding it in place
10. Disconnect any cables or wires that may be attached to the door.
11. Lift on the door to slide it out of its frame.
12. Store your gun safe’s contents somewhere else while you work on removing and replacing your old door with a new one.
As you can see, methods of removing gun safe doors are not complicated. It is even easier if you follow some precautions. You should always plan your installation carefully and make sure that it will be done the first time correctly because after all the time spent picking out a new safe, you don’t want to end up with one that has defective features.
It’s also important to keep in mind that there are different methods for opening safes depending on what type or model they are, so make sure to read their instruction manuals before installing them at home.